Sunday, September 7, 2008

Death of Classmates

Death in general doesn't really bother me, it is natural and it happens. But sometimes the people it happens to just doesn't make any sense. It has been over a year that a kid I graduated with died. His girlfriend and him were headed up to his cottage, when he ran a stop sign -- it was pretty much over from that moment on. The kid, Sam, died at the scene and his girlfriend was pronounced dead the next day.

It was probably the very next day after he died that I had gone over to a former teachers house, and she told me right when I walked in, "Sam's dead". No way - the Sam I know? The kid that was nice to everyone. I wasn't close friends with him, but I remember the last time I talked to him and what it was about. Red Hot Chili Peppers being amazing.

Then -- Oct 6, another friend died. A guy I had known for a couple years, and used to be very good friends with. He joined the Marines, and psychologically just lost it after boot camp. He became heavily involved in drugs and our friendship was strained. Needless to say we pretty much stopped talking - but on the Thursday before he died I had talked to him on MSN. That was the last time I talked to him, he died that Saturday. I first assumed drugs, apparently it was because he aspirated vomit into his lungs; he had been sick with the flu for the past week or so. That was the first funeral I went to of someone young that I was very close to at one point. It was creepy.

I don't want to know who is going to be next, I just hope it's someone I'm not very close to.

2 comments:

Epijunky said...

I'm so sorry for your losses...

Life is too short. Truly. A friend of mine just lost his 16-year-old son. He was fine one day and gone the next.

Life is too short.

Reise said...

Thank you. It is amazing how quickly life can be taken away.