Thursday, September 25, 2008

What does it mean to be alive?

Does anybody else ever question that? According to the dictionary, alive is stated as is:

ALIVE-
Having life, living
In existence, or operation
Full activity or animation


I’ve concluded that to be alive, you need to do things. It sounds simple, because it is. Yet, many people have forgotten how to be simple. With their planners, I-pods, cell phones, laptops, pagers, lists, and further more obligations. Yet, the secret to being alive is to make things simple.

It is unrealistic to eliminate all of the above forever, or maybe even for a day for some people. What I’ve discovered though, simplicity can be in the mind also. Even if your world is scattered you can make your mind simple. Being alive is enjoying the simple things. It is realizing a good friend when you have one, enjoying the laughter with another person, and having a good conversation with a stranger. It is that one song that sends chills through your body because it reminds you of somebody you love or have once loved.

It’s the sweat on your body after a night out of town; it’s the breath coming in and out of your nose and mouth. It is the light in your eyes and the warmth of your heart. We are surrounded by life, but once you forget these simple blessings, you feel as if you are not alive. It is very important to remember the little things and to appreciate them with all of your ability. The ability to appreciate is one great talent we all have – yet ignore all too often.

I get down on myself sometimes, but thinking of all of that helps. Sometimes it seems as if there no end to obligations. I have to work a lot so I can afford the house, the bills, food, gas, and school; all the while being a full time student. Sometimes it just seems like my mind and body escape me; and I'm just a robot.

Seriously though, enjoy life people! No matter what you do, who you are, is your life that terrible? I don't care if you don't like your job, it doesn't have to define you and your life unless you let it or want it. I certainly have 2 unglamorous jobs, no one really appreciates what I do, I'm not respected because of what I do, I'm not directly helping someone, and I certainly don't need an IQ of 160 to do either job.

But I do them. I do them to support myself. Do what ya gotta do. Enjoy life - its too fuckin' short.

No comments: